Thursday, July 12, 2012

Snap to It

First there was Snap of Snap, Crackle and Pop fame, the delicious cereal that talked to me during my childhood on cold mornings while we waited for the bus to pick us up to go to school.



 Then there is SNAP - the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, which continues to provide support to individuals whose childhoods were marred  or destroyed by unthinkable acts of men whom they trusted and who betrayed that trust.

There is also SNAP that stands for Sustainable Natural Alternative Power. I have no clue what it is, it just came up when I Googled SNAP. No doubt by having "sustainable" in its name it is some sort of "green" program related to carbon credits and politically correct light bulbs. I don't have any desire to find out.


Now there is SNAP, which is the federally funded (Department of Agriculture) Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. This is the new politically correct term for what we used to call Food Stamps.



Last Fall there was an outcry over a viral video that millions viewed on You Tube. Its haunting refrain was "EBT, my EBT, I just swipe my EBT," and it depicted a young black man taking his sister's (or girlfriend's) EBT (electronic benefits transfer) card to all kinds of establishments to get free things.


Mr. EBT later claimed that the song and video were a spoof, intending to show how the cards are abused. OK, if you say so, Mr. EBT.

But what brings me to post on this topic is another story that I read today about the SNAP program. It's not about fraudulent use this time. Instead, it is about our federal government trying to recruit Spanish speaking people to go on the SNAP program. I am not making this up. The USDA has has produced a series of "novelas" that are like little audio plays where people have conversations about trying to convince a Spanish-speaking person to go apply for food stamps. I am not even kidding you. You can listen to one of the audio productions (The Poet) below and read a translation of the script yourself.




Here is another one called "At the Supermarket." (Translation here.)



Do these bureaucrats not know of such a thing as pride? Or dignity? Or not wanting to be on the government dole? Obviously, all they want is for these people to get handouts from the government so they can hook them, like a drug, and get them to vote for the hand that feeds them.

Brilliant. Brilliantly evil. I just want to cry right now. I have to snap out of it! Our country has to snap out of it.

7/13/12 UPDATE: This article on the food stamp program gives me additional reason to lament the rapid downward spiral to becoming a nation of welfare entitlements.

7/17/12 UPDATE: Here is the USDA webpage that tells you how you can qualify for SNAP: http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/applicant_recipients/eligibility.htm. The threshold criteria are so low, yet over 20% of Americans are receiving food stamps. Something does NOT compute!