Sunday, March 25, 2012

Youth we can be proud of...

I was so disappointed in 2008 to know that the wide majority of young people in this country were lured into Obama's web ... like he was the pied piper or some other marauder.  It seems more and more that young people are losing all semblance of morals. (Can you Sandra Fluke?) They follow the crowd and participate in flash mobbing and other such anti-social behaviors because it gives them a sense of belonging. Sad and disappointing, to say the least.

Anyway, I want to say how proud I am of my older stepdaughter, who is a junior at a Catholic high school. She was nominated by her math teacher in February to attend a seminar at Virginia Military Institute (VMI) earlier in March. She and one other student, a sophomore, from her school left on Sunday, March 4, to go to Lexington, VA, for the seminar. They came back Tuesday night (March 6). It sounds like all the military academies from across the country had students there. The topic was "Cheating, Lying, and Honor in America's High Schools, Colleges, and Universities" -- in short, how to avoid cheating. It was a wonderful experience, and I think it was quite a learning experience.

The fact that our daughter's teacher recognized that she is mature and has leadership qualities is a clear statement on what a wonderful young woman she is. High school is hard these days. I don't know if I could have done what I did in high school (cough! valedictorian - cough!) with all the pressure and distractions to be part of the crowd that kids face these days.

Yes, and although her younger sister told me that she met some "hot guys" there, I know that she has a good head on her shoulders and will not let those hormones supersede what she knows is the right thing to do. (I was her Confirmation sponsor, so I hope that is the case!) She works hard to keep her grades up, and she even participates on the school's crew team. Moreover, she has talked me into going to Haiti with her and her school's Medical Missionaries club this June. So, we are working on getting our passports renewed. It should be a wonderful, fruitful experience to appreciate the many gifts and blessings in our lives.

The bottom line is, I am very proud of her. And since she is sitting across the room from me, waiting to read this on her I-phone, I guess I should post it. The future is a little less dark with intelligent, strong young women like my stepdaughter out there! And now, hugs all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment