Monday, June 9, 2014

Sister Cristina Scuccia Wins The Voice in Italy

A few weeks back I posted a video of Italian Sister Cristina Scuccia (Suor Cristina) and the amazing debut she made on the Italian competition of The Voice. That video has been seen tens of millions of times. The competition has come to an end, and it is no surprise that Suor Cristina has been declared the winner! Her coach, Jax, helped her through the competition, and her fans supported her "Sister Acts" (or Sister Ax, rather).

Jax coaching Suor Cristina

Suor Cristina gets hashtagged

Here is one of her final performances to the song "What a Feeling" from the 1980s movie Flashdance starring Irene Cara.


The words to the song are here: 
 "Flashdance... What A Feeling"

 First when there's nothing
But a slow glowing dream
That your fear seems to hide
Deep inside your mind

All alone, I have cried
Silent tears full of pride
In a world made of steel
Made of stone

Well, I hear the music
Close my eyes, feel the rhythm
Wrap around, take a hold of my heart

What a feeling
Being's believing
I can have it all
Now I'm dancing for my life
Take your passion
And make it happen
Pictures come alive
You can dance right through your life

Now I hear the music
Close my eyes, I am rhythm
In a flash, it takes hold of my heart

What a feeling, being's believing
I can have it all
Now I'm dancing for my life
Take your passion
And make it happen
Pictures come alive
Now I'm dancing through my life

What a feeling

What a feeling (I am music now)
Being's believing (I am rhythm now)
Pictures come alive
You can dance right through your life

What a feeling (I can really have it all)
Being's believing
(Pictures come alive when I call)
I can have it all (I can really have it all)
Have it all (pictures come alive when I call)
(Call, call ,call, call, what a feeling)
I can have it all (being's believing)
Being's believing (take your passion)
 Most young people today have not seen the movie where the song originated. Not to take anything away from Suor Cristina's vocal performance, but to really appreciate the beauty of the song, you have to see the dancing that went along with it in the movie. Here is Irene Cara and her body double in the (supposedly) official Flashdance video.

Irene Cara's character performed by putting her entire being into the celebration of life ("being's believing"). Suor Cristina is praising God with her voice and her own version of the Dance.

Suor Cristina, back-up dancers, and the giant hand of "God" holding a microphone
 Congratulations, Sister Cristina! Bellissima!


*****************************

Celebrate with your dog -- get treats from AntlersAndChews.com!

www.antlersandchews.com